[geeks] Server Suggestions...

Ross Lonstein ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com
Thu Jan 29 08:17:37 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:47:11PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
    [snip]
> This isn't you're normal household dust unfortunately. This place is
> a 4x4 mail order house with a service and repair shop. The dust here
> is a choking mixture of concrete dust, mud and ferrous
> oxide. Suffice to sat the latter isn't very good for tapes.

Years ago the company I was with for did some work for a heavy
equipment shop (caterpillar, bobcat, etc.) the air was not so great,
even the offices had the smell of diesel and soot. The server
(RS-6000, btw) and DLT changer were kept in a spare interior room with
a large air filter (think, floor standing "smoke eater"). We
recommended that they also build a small box with air filter and fan
but the tape drive didn't have problems. I don't know what the
long-term was.  DLT (now LTO, I suppose) seems to survive poor
conditions better than DAT.

- Ross