[geeks] Good GPS data logger for photographic use

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jan 28 04:16:14 CST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:15:58 -0500
Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> The thing is, does this unit produce files that can be used with a
> photo tagger?
Purely depends on the software you use. There are various programms out
there to download the track log fron the Garmin and similar devices.
E.g. gpsbabel (commandline) or viking. (Small GIS application similar to
google earth: http://viking.sourceforge.net/) Most of the time you use
GPX or KML files, sometimes NMEA. You can convert all this formats back
and forward using gpsbabel. Your photo tagging software should be able
to read at least one of those formats.

> The best option I've seen saves GPS data to a log every N minutes.
This is what the garmin device, and any other GPS logger, does. You can
configure it: Save every x minutes, every y meters or feet, let the
device automatically decide when to save a trackpoint. With the later
you can choose high, medium or low accuracy. e.g. if I run with a pace
of about 5 to 6 minutes per km it saves a trackpoint about every 12 m
or every 4 seconds in high accuracy automatic mode. If I drive with the
car on a straight highway with constant velocity it takes a trackpoint
every 10 to 15 seconds. If I don't move it records a trackpoint when I
stop and an other when I start.

> Then you either load an SD card with photos into it and it tags
> them,
Maybe the bigger Garmin (or Magellan) GPS devices have a function like
that, the smaler units don't. If they have a SD slot at all, they use
SD cards only to store maps.

> or you take the log from it and use a computer program to tag
> your pictures.
If your computer program can read at least one of the several formats
that gpsbabel can write you can use any GPS device.

> If the GPS you mention can save logs like that, then it would
> probably do the job.
It does. But if you really only want / need a logger you may look at a
dedicated GPS logger as it is smaller. If you get interrested in
Geocaching or if you want navigation functions, a real GPS handheld
like the etrex H is better.

Also check how expensive the cables you need are. The Garmin etrex H
needs a serial cable with a very special connector. The cable can cost
30,- EUR, almost half of the actual GPS device. I got a cheap cable
from a friend... Other units have standard mini-USB plugs, some have
funky USB plugs (=> expensive cable), some provide Bluetooth.

An other issue are bateries. Some GPS loggers have build in
rechargeable batteries that you can't change. If the battery goes out
in the field you are out. Other devices use standard AA or AAA
batteries that you can swap at any time.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen