[geeks] Good GPS data logger for photographic use

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Jan 27 02:59:38 CST 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:40:24 -0500
Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Does anyone here use GPS logging for photography?
>
> I want to get a decent GPS data logger to tag my photos, but rather
> not spend a whole lot of money if I can get a good one cheap.
I don't use my GPS device for photo taging. I use it as logger to
record my track when running through the Palatinate Woods. I thought
about various small GPS loogers and finaly got a Garmin etrex H. It is
a bit biger then the average GPS logger, but it offers basic navigation
functionality too. Usefull when you want to find a way to your photo
location. More important for my purpose: It is waterproof. This is a
big plus if you are doing outdor sports for obvious reasons.

The Garmin etrex H is the simplest etrex model. It doesn't offer maps
and its navigation functions are very basic. (It just displays
direction and distance to your destination point.) It works well as
logger and you can set waypoints to mark speciffic locations. I choose
it because it didn't cost much more then a simple logger (80,- EUR) and
offers additional functionality over a plain logger. (waterproof,
waypoints, basic navigation.)

If you go for a used Garmin etrex, make sure it is a "H" model. The
older etrex without "H" have weak receivers. They don't work e.g. when
unter a tree. The "H" models have a _h_igh sensitivity receiver that
works OK even when you get only indirect satelite signals. (forest,
canyons, high buildings around you, ...)

There are GPS loggers specifficly designed for photo taging. They go
onto the flash sync contact of your (D)SLR and take the position every
time you take a photo. I have seen one of those in a german computer
magazine, but can't remember the name of the device. This would be your
best option if you really only want photo taging.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen