[geeks] Need input on server motherboard

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 08:40:00 CST 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 8:16 AM, "Ido Dubrawsky" <idubraws at dubrawsky.org>
wrote:

> I would like input on the two motherboards I listed -- if anyone has
> had
> experience with them -- or with other 64-bit servers.

One is EATX, iirc, forcing you to find an EATX chassis, not too hard,
but it can get pricey.

I noticed both were dual-socket, are you planning to go dual CPU? From
what I've seen those particular CPUs are expensive.

Have you considered the newest Intel CPU, the i7? The Asus P6T mb has
SAS and SATA RAID, but only uses DDR3 RAM. The CPU is about $250, the
MB about $300, and RAM is about $70/gig - it will support triple-
channel memory, up to 12 Gig (maybe more, from memory). Newegg has 300
gig SAS drives for about $300, smaller drives are about $2/gig there.

I almost built a system out of pieces like those, but I went for a
Dell Studio XPS with 6 gigs RAM, ATI 4850, and 750 SATA drive for $1K.
Lionel