[geeks] Need input on server motherboard

Micah R Ledbetter vlack at vlack.com
Fri Jan 16 11:56:27 CST 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:

> I need to be able to put Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V on it in order to
> build 64-bit virtual machines.  This is partially for $WORK but also
> for
> $HOME use.  I'm looking at the following boards:
>
> ASUS KFN32-D
> TYAN S2912G2NR

If you're putting Windows on it, it might be worth asking the
question: does Microsoft do its System-Locked Preinstallation options
for Windows Server? If so, you might want to consider going with what
Microsoft calls a "Royalty OEM", a big guy like Dell or whoever, which
are authorized to offer SLP on their systems.

SLP is provided only to Royalty OEMs, and it lets you install, for
example, Dell-branded Vista or XP media onto Dell systems without
having to enter a license code upon installation, or having to
activate afterwards.

As far as I'm concerned, if I ever need a new Windows system, I'll be
buying SLP systems. Activation makes me mad. :p

Just something to think about.

  - Micah