[geeks] Unsecured Wifi connections now illegal in part of India.

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:03:43 CST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 11:02 AM, der Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG>
wrote:

>> I assume that this regulation will mirror similar laws here in the US
>> - seatbelt and motorcycle helmet laws.  Driving/riding without either
>> a seatbelt or helmet makes you a criminal in most states.
>
> Only if you do so on public roads.
>
> The extent to which this is relevant is a separate question.
>
>> The law is being applied equally against both terrorists and
>> law-abiding citizens.
>
> "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the
> poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal
> bread."
>
>> In Canada (I understand - der Mouse please correct me if i'm wrong)
>> it is against the law to operate a motor vehicle with the headlights
>> off, even during the day.
>
> I don't know; I don't drive, and haven't been paying attention to
> headlights in daytime.  (But, as with helmets and seatbelts, I don't
> for a moment believe such a law would apply except on public roads.)
>
> All these arguments have the flaw that as far as I know nobody has
> claimed the Mumbai attackers were _operating_ an open wifi hotspot

They have not made the use of WiFi in support of a terrorist act a
distinct offense in Mumbai.

The law in Mumbai applies to the operators of hotspots, not the users
of the hotspot. Mumbai has choosen to go after the facilitators, not
the WiFi leeches.

Lionel