[geeks] jackassery from the BBC

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 00:01:43 CST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM, kevin r. marshall <kevin at pipeline.com> wrote:
> I agree.  It's just too easy these days to efficiently wipe data from drives to understand why more IT staff do not do so.  I always made sure that any drive that left my previous job was wiped and welcomed people to bring in their home machines for the same treatment if they were planning on donating those machines to charity.

It depends on why the disks are being shed.  In our case, it's usually
because they have failed.

It's really hard to wipe a failed drive using software.

I have half a dozen of my own failed ones at home which were cruelly
denied their destiny because my gun club only allows clay targets on
the skeet range and paper on the other ranges.

--
Dan Duncan