[geeks] jackassery from the BBC

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Jan 8 10:35:12 CST 2009

>> produced images with resolution on the order of 1N<m.
> This apparently did not encode correctly.  As copied and pasted, that
> resolution was 1 micrometer, stated as 1[greek letter mu]m.

This is what happens when you paste U+03BC (GREEK SMALL LETTER MU -
though you arguably should be using U+00B5, MICRO SIGN, for "micro")
encoded in UTF-8, into something that takes an octet stream rather than
a character stream and then strips the 0x80 bit from each octet.

How much of this happened where is an open question.  I've been
irritated myself often enough by the list stripping high bits; I
suspect it's ignoring character-set markings too, so it could well be
that nothing was wrong on the sender side except the expectation that
the list would do something reasonable with non-ASCII text.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org