[geeks] Best media for personal long-term backup?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Feb 27 19:00:13 CST 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, nate at portents.com wrote:

> Yes, I'm familiar with the claimed advantages of +R media and the brand,
> but how much better is it *really* than good quality Verbatim media for
> instance?

In correctable/uncorrectable errors per millions of bits after some amount
of aging?  I have no idea.  It's entirely possible that the various
manufacturers have data sheets on this, though.

>> The other downside is media capacity.  To approach DVD levels of
>> capacity, you'll need to chunk $2000 or so at a MO drive.
>
> Yeah new they are expensive, but I've seen some of the older MO drives
> on ebay for under $200 though (used), and I've been wondering if I could
> find a deal on a drive that way.

But then you're stuck with huge piles of cartridges to restore modest[0]
amounts of data.

[0] A term that rapidly runs in the increasing direction over time.
--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken