[geeks] New email archiving help

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Fri Feb 20 15:43:45 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 02:17:10PM -0500, William Enestvedt wrote:

|  I have a .txt file for each year. Is there a litmus test to see
| whether these really are Eudora files? Is there some other converter I
| should try? Mr.Bill suggested hypermail, but it's five years old at
| Freshmeat: yikes.

I use hypermail myself -- it works great, even today.  The output
looks very similar to what mhonarc did for you.

As for your emails, is it possible that he was subscribed to them in
digest format?  I wouldn't expect mhonarc to have worked as well as it
did if the emails were in some weird format.  The only thing that
doesn't scream `digest!' to me is that each individual email in
mhonarc doesn't say `digest'.

In any event, this sounds like a job for a few minutes with perl -- if
it's really digests, they could be split up into individual emails
without much difficulty, and if it's a problem with the data format
that could probably be fixed as well.  If you want, I'll take a stab
at it -- just need the data files.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
 --Homer Simpson