[geeks] Warehouse Handhelds

Gaz God gaz.god at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 13:39:15 CST 2009

I was involved in develop a system which used symbol hand-held scanners to
do similar to what you are talking about. When the scanners were dropped in
their cradle the files were uploaded to a pc running dos and a TCP stack
which had a batch file cycling round which then ftp'd the file to the
server. Then we had a cycling job which loaded the transactions in the files
to the ERP database, I modified the EDI routines in MFG/Pro to do this part
which is where all the work was done.

This was 10 years ago and I found out recently its still running exactly as
it was set up, despite been a cludge solution that was supposed to be
replaced as soon as we had time!!

This was all done around barcodes, but without them you have an uphill
battle i think.

Gaz