[geeks] Linux Mail Servers

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Feb 11 12:17:04 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 05:55:20PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 12:46 -0500, hike wrote:
> > use postfix, et al (sic)

Yes, I agree that postfix and dovecot are the best combo.

> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 12:45 -0500, Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>
> > I ran postfix for a long time on RHEL and then on Mac OS X before moving my
> > personal & business domain to gmail. Postfix was dead-easy to configure &
> > keep running. IIRC, the O'Reilly book was of minimal use, and just scouring
> > the 'net was a better bet. YMMV.
>
> So what's there is good? Right I'll get to work on it. Thanks for the
> *informative* answers :o)

I thought the postfix book was useful, personally.

There is no Dovecot book that I can find, but Dovecot was really simple
to operate using only the directions on the dovecot and postfix web
sites.

BTW, if possible use dovecot SASL instead of the other SASLs.  Even if
this means having to rebuilt postfix and dovecot from sources.

Also, if you need to add webmail at some point, use roundcube instead of
squirrelmail.