[geeks] Linux Mail Servers

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 11:44:10 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 12:25 -0500, Aaron Finley wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > eMail servers. I have no idea what, where or how. I want to buy a book
> > to work from (probably an O'Reilly) but I don't know even what book is
> > relevant. We need internal e-mail and a SMTP server to send out of the
> > building. Ubuntu Server kindly loaded postfix and dovecot when I asked
> > for a Mail Server. I have zero experience on either.
>
> Have you tried going to Google and typing "linux mail server howto" ?

Awww c'mon... That sort of attitude belongs on the Ubuntu forums, not
here.

I don't want a how-to, I want some advice from seasoned geeks on what to
use and what works best before I dive into spending hours battling it.
Once I establish an idea of *what* to use, then I'll get my teeth sunk
into it. At THAT point I might need a how-to :)

I appreciate the value of the vital combination of advice and
experience. I'm young, I don't know a lot about this game compared to
most people here and I only ask that you offer me honest advice.

I've got a rare change to start afresh with a new server and an OS of my
own choice at $work and I am taking ever step necessary to get all the
right things in the right box.

--
Mark Benson
http://markbenson.org/blog