[geeks] favorite im client?

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:20:25 CST 2009

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com>
> "
> " On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " > anyone have one to recommend?  i'm setting up a laptop for my gf's son,
> " > and my sketchy recon so far suggests pidgin and/or trillian.
> "
> " Quel OS?
>
> d'oh!  forgot to mention...
>
> vista, not my choice.	:^<

I've been using Miranda IM[0] for the past couple years.  It's pretty
spartan out of the box, but there's some good guides/prebuilt packages
out there that bring it closer to the more mainstream clients in terms
of features and appearance. I'm using a setup called Mire[1][2] that
handles everything I need it to do for AIM and ICQ.

[0]: http://www.miranda-im.org
[1]: prebuilt package: http://miranda-im.info/downloads/
[2]: guide used to make [1], so you can pick and choose what addons and
settings and all that you want to use: http://miranda-im.info/