[geeks] favorite im client?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Feb 10 15:15:41 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 04:09:15PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Sandwich Maker wrote:
> > anyone have one to recommend?  i'm setting up a laptop for my gf's son,
> > and my sketchy recon so far suggests pidgin and/or trillian.
>
> You didn't specify OS.  But ... pidgin pretty much does it all.

Pidgin seems to fall over for some GTalk users, such as myself.  From
the boards and bug lists, it appears that I'm not the only one.

The problem is that pidgin expects GTalk users to also be GMail users,
while Gtalk really only requires a google account.  So, if your Gtalk
user-ID is you at gmail.com, pidgin is fine, but if your Gtalk user-ID is
you at example.com, then you are stuck.

Anyway, on the pidgin bug tracker, such bugs are just closed without
resolution.

I made the mistake of not signing up for gmail promptly and now I can't
seem to find a reasonable username.