[geeks] iPhone alternatives

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 23:48:34 CST 2009

I've had my G1 since just before they came out, and I think it's a worthy
successor to the SonyEricsson P800 I carried for 5 years.  It's definitely a
1st generation device as far as design and usability go.  It has some major
advantages over the iphone:  keyboard, removable battery, open platform.
(You can install apps without the Marketplace if you so desire)  The
integration with Google apps is fine (not a surprise) but I find myself
wishing google offered a task list.  It uses google calendar and will even
share calendars with other people so my wife and I can actually have
appointments show up on both phones when entered on either phone or a
computer which is slick.  I constantly find myself bumping into the internal
memory limits on apps (which won't use the microSD card YET) because I have
140 or so apps installed.  (Yes, dammit, I need the virtual lightsaber)

If you get one, get the black one.  The contrast between the keys and the
characters on them is too low with the backlight on in medium light
conditions on the brown or white ones although someone did just post an app
to let you turn it off.

Dan Duncan via gphone