[geeks] 139556-08

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 13:42:18 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:
> velociraptor wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:
>>> Just wondering ... has anyone here ever gotten Solaris 10 x86 patch
>>> 139556-08 to SUCCESSFULLY apply?
>>
>> Looks like none of the kernel patches I've applied since April
>> successfully updated /lib/libc.so.1, but the system didn't show the
>> "normal" symptom of this--kernel panic and failure to boot.  I
>> discovered it after the latest round of patching b/c java would not
>> run, throwing an out of swap error.
>
> Huh.
>
> I got it in the end, but don't remember the steps that were necessary.
> At least, I THINK I did ...  now you're giving me doubts.

ls -al on /usr/lib/libc.so.1 and check the date :-)

If you want to be ocd about it, find the last kernel patch you added
and look for libc.so.1 under it's directory in /var/sadm/patch

Grepping the logs for the "mv" error (e.g. "libc.so.1 in use") didn't
actually turn up a failure on the last kernel patch I tried to apply
(141445-09)--even though it didn't apply properly.

I've tried a number of things and gotten nowhere.  I'm going to just
live upgrade it, I think.  The patch that's supposed to fix this is
applied (don't have the number right at hand...something-70 or higher)
doesn't seem to be working.  No way of knowing if it's because the
patch doesn't fix it or if it's because they kernel patches haven't
applied properly.

It's a bit of a circular problem and would require backing out at
least 100 patches to fix, I think.  Just not worth it, time-wise.

Also, I learned that 'shutdown -i S -y -g0' doesn't really bring you
to a true "single user mode".  SMF and some other stuff are still
running that use /lib/libc.so.1.  I think rebooting to single user is
the only way to go before applying kernel patches, now, unless you use
LU.

Time to learn some new stuff. :-)

=Nadine=