[geeks] Flash Player Video/XP/AMD glitch

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 03:43:54 CST 2009

Dad's just put together a new AMD system using a ZOTAC Mini-ITX NVidia-based
Motherboard with a NForce 8200 chipset (onboard NVIDIA gfx) and AMD Athlon II
45W CPU (450 or something - I'm not up on AMD). The system is a pretty snazzy
little box for what it is and what it cost but it has one flaw. We want to use
it in the living room as a media player for iPlayer, Youtube etc. We're
running it to HDTV via the HDMI adapter provided, which fits on the DVI port
and gives us audio and video.

When playing any Flash video in either IE or Firefox the thing will up and die
after a few minutes. Sometimes it's less than 2 mins, sometimes it's over 30
mins. It's usually anywhere in between. The screen goes either white > black
or just black and the thing doesn't respond. It plays DVDs back fine, haven't
tried anything else thus far but it's as annoying as hell because by right it
should be an excellent video unit. Dad wanted it for playing back iPlayer and
iTunes stuff.

As you can imagine, with money laid down and a system built we are kinda
bummed it doesn't work.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: