[geeks] food geekery question

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Wed Dec 23 14:06:14 CST 2009

Dr Robert Pasken wrote:
> I'd vote for the KitchenAide, I bought my wife one 5 years ago and she
> has used it extensively. She often makes 2.5lb of dough for pizza's
> using the dough hook with no problems after 5 years

My wife's 6-quart "Professional" Kitchen Aid has been perfect for the 8
or 10 years we've had it.  It gets a lot of use, too; she's a real cook.

On the knife front, she likes the Japanese Mac knives.  They are more
Westernized than the more traditional stuff, with composite handles and
semi-European blade shapes, but have the layered steel and Japanese edge
angles more typical of "real" Japanese knives.

She likes Shun, too.  Both they and the Macs are wicked sharp, and stay
that way.

Although I love the edges on the Japanese stuff, I find the Macs a
little too light for me, and my sweet spot for size falls between the
two more "chef's knife" sized Macs.  Hence, my main knife is one of the
white-plastic-handled generic 10" chef's knives from the restaurant
supply store.  I can't remember who makes 'em, but every non-celebrity
chef has at least one, and the Mexican sous chefs and line cooks that
fill America's restaurant kitchens each have several.  I think I paid
$40 or so for it, it takes and holds a great edge, and the handle fits
my hand.

-S