[geeks] food geekery question

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Dec 22 10:04:03 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:45:13AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>"Much stronger than what", then becomes the question.  Delrin, for
>example, is an engineering thermoplastic with good mechanical strength
>and high lubricity.  Polysulfone is extremely strong and has excellent
>temperature resistance, making it good for laboratory glassware.

Actually I sort of stated it. Much stronger than the plastic gears used
in cheap Chinese made mixers. A relative answer, but one none the less. :-)

>When Kitchenaid was bought by Whirlpool, two of the first things they
>did as cost-cutting measures were to replace the cast-metal gearbox
>housing with molded phenolic resin and replace several of the
>previously-all-steel gears with nylon ones.  One of those gears turns
>out to have to take very high torque, and the word became, "Don't buy
>KitchenAid Artisan series mixers, the plastic gears will strip; buy the
>Professional, it still has all-steel gearing."  Whirlpool has now gone
>back to steel gears across the entire line and cast metal gearbox
>housings, and has the metal gearbox housing available as an inexpensive
>replacement part if you have a KitchenAid with a phenolic resin gearbox
>housing.

So you are saying that it is ok to buy a New KitchenAid, but not a used one.
Do you have any idea (or way to find out) the difference if you are looking
at a used unit?

>Wow.  I'll bet that made a crash to wake the neighbors.....

No. I don't think they noticed.

>Hmm.  Sounds like they don't take well to the power change.

It's the power line frequency. 60Hz motors do not take 50Hz well. They
run 20% slower, put out 20% less power, and more heat (probably 20%).

Geoff.
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.