[geeks] FS: Geeky stuff

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 01:23:59 CST 2009

On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:11 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:

> Bill, are these 11n only or 11n/11g?
>
> Disclaimer:  Mostly academic curiosity only at this point, since I
> have
> a working 11g router (WRT54G+DD-WRT) and no budget for 11n cards
> right now.

The unit appears to be g/n protocol, but single band (2.4 GHz),
compared with dual band units (2.4 & 5.8 GHz) - you need dual-band
support to take full advantage of 802.11n, but this in no way makes
these 'bad' units, just not as capable as other, more costly units.

I ran Cat5e all over my house (dual drops in each room), but I wish
I'd created a 'wiring closet' on the 2nd floor, and run fiber to
basement... I guess I could still do it, but current arrangement
working fine...

Lionel