[geeks] Source for Galileoscope?

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Dec 2 21:17:03 CST 2009

From: gsm at mendelson.com

> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:11:34PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >Or, if you have the time and feel that size matters, there is the SF
> >Sidewalk Astronomer's do-it-yourself approach:
> >
> >http://www.sfsidewalkastronomers.org/index.php?page=building-telescopes
>
> Does Edmund's still sell those telescope kits? Many friends of mine built them
> from kits, but I think they all used pre-made mirrors. The largest was an
> eight inch.
>
> I remember being in high school (circa 1970) and going to Edmund's with a
> friend (it was about a 40 minute drive from where I lived). Playing with
> the periscope and looking around the back room where they sold optical
> and other bargins.
>
> Geoff.

They moved out of there a few years ago and are in Long Island (NY) now although I've been told that the optics was spun off and are still there.  I visited after they moved but just found a outfit that was selling off their surplus stuff left behind.  Their catalog is a lot thinner now. :-(

Bob WA2EGP