[geeks] Suggestions for USB to serial adapter?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Aug 21 14:38:32 CDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 02:33:52PM -0500, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
>> However, FTDI does sell cables that terminate in bare wires that I would
>> assume you could easily cripm into an RJ45 jack.
>
> If you have a wire stripper and snips, any cable can terminate in bare
> wires.

True.  But the cables I was looking at put the smarts in the USB end
rather than the DE9 end.  The cables I own put the smarts in the DE9
end, so cutting that off would be not so useful in this case.

Now, with a little work, I could cut the plastic off and insert the bare
PCB into a mint tin with an rj45 jack on the side, I suppose.