[geeks] Looking for a Mobile Phone

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Aug 17 12:14:54 CDT 2009

>> So, what's decent these days?  Also, what are your experiences with
>> the various carriers?

As for carriers, I can't really say much; in Montreal there's really
only one option (used to be two, but one bought the other and now it's
basically one carrier operating under two brands).

But as for phones, I'll echo Nadine's

> Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with Nokia.

My favourite phone is a Nokia 5190.  Long, long discontinued, but a
_really_ nice phone (for, of course, my values of "nice"): large enough
I don't feel as though I need tweezers to hold it and a user interface
that seems to have been designed by someone who subscribed to
Saint-Exupery's idea of perfection, which I agree with: I think the
only things I would change on it would be to add a calendar to the
clock and to remove the "games" item.  Oh, and maybe add support for
more non-ASCII characters when sending SMSes.

I've got a 3100b as well, and, if it had the junk ripped out - the UI
replaced with the 5190's, basically - and the battery pack enlarged so
the whole thing was the size of the 5190, it would be damn near perfect
(including going something like a month between recharges).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org