[geeks] IOGear CS176* KVMs?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 13:06:21 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Chad McAuley<chizad at gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple years back there was a big discussion about USB/DVI KVMs here on
> the list and a few of you mentioned having good experiences with this series
> of KVMs (and it's ATEN branded brethren). Would those of you that have used
> these still recommend them? I need a USB/DVI KVM[0] for the refurb Mac Mini
> that's headed my way, and just want to make sure this is still my best
> option.

I don't have any experience with the DVI version.  I think myself and
Shannon both talked about USB/VGA version.  I have the latter,
occasionally the keyboard/mouse goes bye-bye which necessitates
unplugging the USB from both computers.  I've now put ~1m USB
extension cables on the systems so I don't have to go groping behind
them to do the plug/unplug dance.  I haven't been using it much lately
since the only box on the KVM at the moment is my Solaris NAS.

Other than this annoyance it works fine.  It is kind of finicky to
change the keyboard "switching" sequence, too.  I don't have the one
with the button on the "head", instead you tap a key quickly to
activate the switching (in my case the physical <ctrl> key since I've
remap <ctrl> to <capslock>).

I'd go read reviews on the DVI version before committing since they
are pricey.  I imagine you should find some on various Mac fora.

=Nadine=