[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Aug 4 11:00:25 CDT 2009

>> my voip does e911; i had to fill some forms out before they'd even
>> turn it on,
> Interesting.  I work for a VoIP provider, and we turn on E911 by
> default for all US customers.  You have to specifically request it to
> be turned off if you have a reason to (moving out of the country for
> example, and taking your service with you).

I work for an ISP that, among other things, provides VoI (what "VoIP"
really should be called - VoIP proper has been in use a lot longer than
people not in the industry realize, just over dedicated links rather
than the open Internet).

We are required, by CRTC regulation, to provide access to 911 services
on all phones we support in Canada.  We are not permitted to turn it
off even on direct customer request; we had such a request recently,
which we had to refuse.  (I suspect this would not apply if the system
in question didn't interface to the PSTN, but of course that's not what
our customers want.)  It might be permitted if we had reason to think
the particular line in question would never be used in Canada, but no
such case has come up - we have only a very few lines routinely used
outside Canada, and none of them have requested 911 disabling.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org