[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Aug 4 10:11:12 CDT 2009

" From: gsm at mendelson.com
"
" I still think people who want to have their web pages flash down faster
" will sue to require HTTP improvment under the above, the same with people
" who want their downloads faster, people running SKYPE, VoIP users, etc.

there are always self-absorbed whiners.  they shouldn't be rewarded
for being loud and/or persistent.

" In the end you can't manage a network properly without discrimination.

many things in life involve discrimination, recognizing and accounting
for natural differences.

" Why should VoIP have priority? Seriously, can you make a legal case for the
" improvement of one protocol/function over another? By allowing one class
" of user (such as those that use VoIP) to have priority over another (someone
" playing games from steam for example), you have created a classed or
" two tiered network.

voip - and all stream protocols, which have a 'real time' requirement
- should have priority over 'ordinary' downloads and web traffic,
which don't.

now as to whether any stream proto should have priority over others,
that's another q.  one can make an arg for voip...

" In fact, people who use telephones have plenty of choices, they can get
" a POTS phone, they can get a cell phone, they can get a sat phone, they
" can get a ham radio license or an FRS or CB radio. People playing on
" line games only have one choice, to use their ISP, so don't they rate
" priority?

that's irrelevant.  if you deny priority to one stream protocol, why
should any have priority - games included?  if discriminating against
protocols which have alternatives is okay, then downloads count
because you could always get a dvd, right?

games are entertainment.  internet vid and radio are.  phones are not,
though many folks use them as such.

i used to have a pots line.  with my voip i'm saving $240/y, and
getting dsl as a fringe benefit.

" You can also argue that since VoIP phones do not provide the same tax
" revenue, do not provide the same service (E911), are not as reliable
" (dependent upon the Internet) etc, they do not further a critically
" important interest, something I expect that everyone reading this would
" never want to see enshrined in law.

one of the reasons they aren't as reliable is that they don't get
priority.

my voip does e911; i had to fill some forms out before they'd even
turn it on, and i'm listed in the local phone book just like i was
when it was a pots number.  dunno if i pay taxes; i do know my isp
offers this voip svc only in nh, ma, and part of ny, though they cover
a much wider area, and that implies a state-specific regulatory
climate.

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
" > That's already been done without the law. Many places can not legally filter
" > their internet and library computers have been taken over by homeless people
" > looking at porn.
"
" The obvious way around that is to require proof of address to get a
" library card, and require a library card to use the library computers.
" As a matter of fact I don't think I've been in a library that had
" public-access computers (other than just to access their online catalog)
" and *didn't* require a library card to use them.

around here, your cardno is your login at the library.  no card, no
access.  sessions are also timed, 30m max.