[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 4 07:53:23 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 01:35:49PM +0100, Mark Benson wrote:
> I in turn was elaborating on said example to make my point. My basic
> point being that's great, as long as 'The man on charge' deems what you
> are doing to be lawful. The upshot being what *you* are using bandwidth
> for may be lawful but the service may be disallowed via the
> guilt-by-association mentality that has lead services like BitTorrent,
> which I only use for aquiring legitimately free products such as music
> by Nine Inch Nails and Linux distros, to be disallowed or throttled.
> This is where the problem originally arose from and was justified with.

I don't see how this changes, except that now the one customer of your ISP
downloading Linux or Nine Inch Nails music can sue to have any restrictions
lifted. IMHO this is a bad thing because they can also sue to prevent
degradation of their performance, which also prevents improvement of yours.

I happen to have to separate internet connections here, and my wife and I
use one and my son the other (mostly). The one I use is better at VoIP,
downloading files from rapidshare and about the same for general web surfing.
My son's is better for bit torrent and Steam. So he gets high priority on the
router for what he does and my torrents run in the background.

I also use it for rapishare downloads although it is 2/3 of the speed as they
run in the background on a remote server, and the wait between files evens
things out.

There are tons of Hebrew websites dedicated to which ISP does better for what,
but since I don't read Hebrew well enough to matter, I know they exist, but
nothing more.

Geoff.