[geeks] CF as IDE

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Sat Aug 1 19:36:07 CDT 2009

I'm considering replacing the IDE HD in one of my laptops with a CF card;
has anyone any words of wisdom, secret sources, or other things I need to
know about?

The laptop is a Toshiba Portege R100, an ultra-portable from about 5 years
ago.  A very interesting machine (see
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Toshiba_Portege_R100.htm) whose
1.8" 30 GB HD seems ripe for replacement with a CF card.  I figure that
would both speed the machine up and extend the battery life.  It's fine in
both regards now, but I want _more_.  I believe the 1.8" Toshiba MK4004GAH
50-pin ATA-5 drive is pin-compatible with CF cards, though there's a bit of
a physical incompatibility with the alignment pins on the connector.

So ... has anyone done this sort of thing?  Any suggestions as to methods,
sources, gotchas, etc.?  Especially, any sources of inexpensive-but-suitable
CF cards?

Thanks.

-Shel

PS:  I've seen