[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 16:22:51 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM, hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >> What kind of servers? these have video cards?
> > all of our servers (windows, linux, sparc/solaris) have video cards,
> > monitors, keyboard and mice.
> >
> > the sparc servers are e3000, sun blade 100, e220r, e280r, v240,v440.
> >
> > most of the servers are oracle servers.
>
> The last two have a management network interface so you can do console
> over ip. Not sure on the e220/280 probably serial console. e3000 is
> definitely serial console. You could add something like a cisco 2500
> and manage all of that over ip. Well, with the exception of the sun
> blade 100 - but you could use that to connect the
> mouse/keyboard/monitor and have terms connections to the other 5
> machines over ip. If you make the management network a private network
> to the sun blade, it gives extra security. And if you need access
> remotely, establish a secure connection with firewall ip restrictions,
> ssh and strong keys, then you hop on the blade and can access the
> other machines from there.
>
> Were you looking at networked KVMs where multiple users can connect to
> the console of the different machines at the same time?

we have to work within the constraints of the site....
we cannot run consoles over the network (the business lan or a console
network).
all kvms will be local to a specific area within cable length of specific
servers.
all servers are required to have a keyboard, a mouse, and a monitor.
they are using PC kvms which do not work with sparcs.
i remove them and use sun keyboard, mouse, and multisync monitor.
the manager doesn't like the "mess" and now agrees to purchase sparc
compatible kvms.
all the sparcs on the kvms are servers and workstation (sun blade 100) that
use USB keyboards and mice.
they do not permit serial consoles.