[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 77, Issue 22

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:17:13 CDT 2009

> From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
> On Apr 25, 2009, at 1:20 AM, William Barnett-Lewis
> <wlewisiii at gmail.com> wrote:
Hi folks,

Ah the joy of digest mode ...
On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>wrote:
> How old is it?

Date code on the label is 08066.

> I've never had a problem with seagate notebook drives, this sounds
> like the eBay seller saw this coming...

It has an HP spares sticker on the lable so... I'm thinking it was
probably a drive that didn't quite meet spec & got pulled. It was,
however, like $40 at a time when I was out of work.

> Retail versions of that drive come with 3-5 year warrantees, I'd
> expect the drive to last 3 yrs.
>
> Heat? Is this a high RPM drive in a low-RPM laptop?

5400 drive which is what is spec'd in the machine. It shipped with a
80gb 5400rpm drive.

> Lionel
> From: hike <mh1272 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Macbook drive fun
>
> The MacBook*s that I have taken apart have Toshiba drives.  The seem to
> perform reliably for years.  (I move, carry, bag & carry laptops all the
> time without problems--even Seagate drives and rarely have problems.)

This is the fourth drive in this machine. The first two were both
killed identically by my son - the machine was tipped off of a coffee
table while open and running and hit the floor on the point of the
lower left corner where the drive bay is. Both drives stopped running
within seconds of impact. Those were the OEM Toshiba and a replacement
WD. Now the Seagate ate itself with much noise over the past few
weeks... I'd been dumping stuff to DVD as time and money permitted but
I still lost most of my music & will have to rescan most of my photos
from the past year (I still do 99% of my photography in medium format
film. Much nicer than any current digital system for what I do.)

> As for eBay, the lower costs of SATA laptop drives purchased from Newegg
> makes eBay unattractive to me.  (They are a good source for specialty
> drives; I won a 1.8" for my Dell D420 with the Dell wrapper and cable for
> half of a new bare drive, for example.)  Mr Bill purhased a nice WB 320GB
> 7200RPM laptop drive for ~$80 from Newegg.

Well, newegg would mean credit and/or debit card. For various reasons,
I stick to cash and purchase locally. OTOH, the new Hitachi 320gb I
got locally was $84 so it sounds like everyone is in the same
ballpark.

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Mine was a 250G, they're now $75:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279
>
> The 320G is $79:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280
>
> Bill

With shipping, that would end up about the same as local + sales tax
so, that's good to know. Now if only most of my earlier backup DVD's
hadn't been DVD-R's before I understood the difference between -R & +R
... lot's of them are turning up unreadable. Thrill a minute, I tell
you...

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.