[geeks] And the other shoe drops - Oracle to buy Sun

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:58:20 CDT 2009

On 21 Apr 2009, at 08:03, Jonathan Groll wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:28:47AM -0400, Eric Railine wrote:
>> It's official:
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/oracle/index.jsp
> What a short thread.
>
> I went hunting in my mailbox this morning for the [geeks] thread
> about the Oracle buy^wsellout and was shocked to find it was 10 times
> smaller than the IBM buy-out thread.
>
> I guess there just isn't much to say. Presumably, mysql doesn't have
> long to live though.

I think with the IBM takeover possibility there was some conjecture
over IBM's MO and wether Sun and IBM would benefit from a merger, and
some discussion aobutwhat IBM would do with Sun's assets and how
they'd use Sun to genuinely boost innovation.

The Sun/Oracle merger I think is not viewed that way. I think the
words 'they're screwed' come to the front of most people's minds, and
like you say, at that point there isn't much more you can say.

Ahh well. Tine to do a raid on the Sun merchadise shop maybe?

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>