[geeks] The Dismal Frontier... was Re: And the other shoe drops - Oracle to buy Sun

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 20 20:35:11 CDT 2009

On Apr 20, 2009, at 17:08 , Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:48:11PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> For MySQL users, I think there are plenty of forks they could move
>> to.
>> That said, I doubt that Oracle will kill MySQL.  They probably want
>> the
>> support fees that can get from supporting large internet services
>> that
>> will never, ever, ever consider something like Oracle.
>
> I think MySQL will become their low-end offering, with paid support
> available of course!

I think this is Sun, Solaris, and SPARC death myself.

It seems the whole world is moving toward a single architecture, and
it can't be long before the same pressures move us to a single OS,
API, and so on.

I hate to think of it this way, but one day...

	Intel CPU
	Linux OS
	Java
	some bastardization of DirectX and OpenGL

...and that's it.  Everything will be sitting on those three.

Or not... but it sure seems to be heading in that direction.

The only alternatives I can think of are worse.

Future Star Trek episode 50 years from now, after the fourth
reincarnation of the series:

	Spock:		The computer core is failing.
	Kirk:		Don't tell me...
	Spock:		Unfortunately, yes.  There are too many Beans(TM) in the
			central core, and they have begun invading other systems
			from the DirectXHolo Deck.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com