[geeks] And the other shoe drops - Oracle to buy Sun

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Apr 20 14:51:42 CDT 2009

Mark Benson wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2009, at 13:28, Eric Railine wrote:
>
>> It's official:
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/oracle/index.jsp
>
> As a MySQL user, I suddenly feel like I might be screwed...
>
> As a fan of Solaris and ZFS... I really don't know WHAT to think now.

I wonder how much the plans to integrate ZFS's transactional integrity
and write combining with MySQL's pluggable storage engine (basically
using ZFS's underpinnings in place of InnoDB) interested Oracle.

Imagine the transaction performance you can get by combining ZFS, Flash
drives, and a database together.

--Patrick