[geeks] Solaris install with Jumpstart

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 07:10:53 CDT 2009

On Apr 12, 2009, at 4:34 AM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2009, at 23:51 , Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>
>>> I'm two weeks late getting this server upgraded to U6, and any help
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> I have never seen a network install as complicated as Jumpstart, but
>>> since I can't install from DVD, it is currently my only option.
>>>
>>> If someone else has done this, maybe you could share your steps and
>>> configuration, and it would help me figure out if I have something
>>> misconfigured or whatever.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> What worked for me was using "snoop" on the jumpstart server to see
>> what
>> was failing.
>
> What worked for me is saying the hell with it and buying an external
> DVD burner to install with.

Shannon,

You're a better man than me - I'd have given it one day before I
invested in an external DVD drive ;^)

On SPARC hardware, the network install instruction (not Jumpststart)
that Mr. Bill linked to works very well. You tell the server the
architecture, MAC, IP, and hostname and then 'netboot' the system to
be installed, then the install proceeds as if the media were local.
Couldn't be easier.

Out of curiousity, what does it take to perform an interactive solaris
install on a PXE-booted x86/x64 box?

Lionel