[geeks] Solaris install with Jumpstart

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Apr 11 22:51:10 CDT 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I'm two weeks late getting this server upgraded to U6, and any help
> appreciated.
>
> I have never seen a network install as complicated as Jumpstart, but
> since I can't install from DVD, it is currently my only option.
>
> If someone else has done this, maybe you could share your steps and
> configuration, and it would help me figure out if I have something
> misconfigured or whatever.
>
> Thanks.

What worked for me was using "snoop" on the jumpstart server to see what
was failing.

of course you should have things setup in /etc/ethers too, which was my
problem.

I think the right incantation is (on the server)

snoop 8:0:20:f:b1:51

Replace with the MAC address of the machine you are trying to jumpstart.

Then try the boot process and pay attention to what is failing.

--Patrick