[geeks] Backup software (yeah, yeah, I know)

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Apr 9 04:51:28 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:06:35PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I still marvel that there is almost nothing like this in the UNIX world,
> given the massive suckitude of available backup media.
>
> I used to use a program called cddump which automatically split backups
> across CDs, and only took up at most one image worth of space at a time.

I've not used it to write to CDs or DVDs, but backup-manager can possibly
do what you want (albeit not what the OP wants, as I doubt it'll work on
Windows without a fair bit of hacking). It's a set of shell scripts that
can backup what you need (including Subversion and MySQL databases, which
is what I use it for), manage full and incrementals and archive to removal
media if required. Not sure about using only one image worth of space at a
time though.

[1] http://www2.backup-manager.org/
    Unfortunately the website is pretty broken at the moment, but you can
    grab a copy of the source from Debian -
    http://packages.debian.org/backup-manager

-mj
--