[geeks] Anyone use Subversion?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 7 16:12:05 CDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 12:31 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Mark Benson wrote:
>> You could use CVS instead, but I know nothing about CVS.
>
> I'd have been perfectly happy to use cvs, but the client was very
> specific about wanting either svn or git used.  I've never had
> problems
> like this with cvs.

CVS is notorious for corruption, because it is inherent in the
underlying RCS code.

You always get corruption with CVS if you use it long enough.

That's probably why they want to avoid it.

I've never used CVS that it didn't eventually screw up.

It's not possible to avoid forever because it is caused by bugs in RCS
which always happen eventually.  They are bugs of foundation design,
and cannot be fixed.

Subversion was created in part to get rid of RCS.

The two most common causes of Subversion corruption are actually not
subversion code itself, but the support it needs: the filesystem and
the Berkely DB libraries.

If you use a filesystem based repository, your greatest risk is
failure of the filesystem itself, which is more common than people
realize.

If you use a DB instead, Berkely DB has some bugs which can
occasionally occur, and you have to know a bit about Berkely DB to fix
them.

There are certainly bugs in subversion, but most problems with
repositories are actually the filesystem or the database that
subversion is using.