[geeks] Anyone use Subversion?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Apr 7 11:03:27 CDT 2009

I'm having my first experience with it for a client, on a Debian system.
 Setting up and creating the repository went fine.  Adding the project
codebase into the repository went fine.  Client's first major commit
failed because .svn directories had become corrupted.  It's a known
problem.  I set about fixing the problem by the documented workaround
... and ran into another known problem in which svn checkout repeatedly
exhausts the system entropy pool and hangs.  I've been trying for a day
and a half to get a copy of the project checked out so that I can fix
the problem of the corrupted .svn directories.  There's a reported
workaround for this problem, too; if svn's been built to use
/dev/random, try moving the real /dev/random and symlinking /dev/random
to /dev/urandom.  I've tried it.  It doesn't work.

Is this anywhere close to a typical svn experience?  Because if it is, I
have to say that on the basis of this experience, I cannot possibly
consider svn to be ready for production use.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.