[geeks] Disk ugprade in Mac Mini - worth it?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 08:32:09 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:27:56AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I assume this performance improvement is noticable at the desktop level,
>> correct?
>
> Yes.  Boot times are faster, apps launch faster, etc.
>
>> I know what I'm going to put in my current-gen MacMini. ;^)
>
> This one was bought March of '08.

Bill, I've given this some thought, and I still prefer the current-gen
of the most-recent generation, for the following reasons:

Faster CPU (in base model)
Faster RAM (DDR3 vs DDR2)
Larger memory supported (I *believe* the current-rev would handle 2x 2
Gig SoDIMMs as true 4 Gigs of RAM without loss)
Faster video (nVidia 9400 vs. Intel GMA950)
Dual video output (previous-gen has only one)
Faster Firewire port (Firewire 800 vs. Firewire 400)

I know you are happy with yours, but since you mentioned that the only
thing you'd likely be looking for in a future upgrade was the faster
nVidia graphics, I thought I'd enumerate the various other upgrades
the new model includes.

I have my RAM upgrade in-hand (less than $50 from Crucial, IIRC), and
I plan on getting a big 320 Gig 7,200 RPM drive with 32 Meg cache (WD
Black series, as you got) to maximize my new MacMini upon arrival
(probably ordering it today from MacConnection.com - any other
recommendations? MacConnection has no tax in NJ free shipping, and a
$20 savings off list price)...

Lionel