[geeks] Some interesting info on Google servers

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 2 13:09:32 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Cody Swanson wrote:

> From one of the blogs I read, some interesting information on Google's
> datacenter tricks. I like the per machine ups systems, it's a solution
> that would scale quite well.

Quoth the article:

   "One of the keys to Google's extraordinary efficiency is its use of a
   custom server with a power supply that integrates a battery, allowing it
   to function as an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). The design shifts
   the UPS and battery backup functions from the data center into the
   server cabinet"

IBM did that at least thirty years ago.  On some mainframes, it was just
enough battery to keep memory state, but I believe some smaller AS/400s
had enough battery to keep the system running.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken