[geeks] Headphone Interconnects

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:01:38 CDT 2008

Francois Dion wrote:
>>> I didn't notice >>headphone<<
>>>
>>> So, not for a gig. It's the outdoor application that threw me
>>> off. What kind of amp is it? I'd still go with the neutrik
>>> connectors though.
>> I'd prefer to avoid making it myself, since I have very little
>> spare time.
>
> Ready made cable
> http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-HEC-4.jpg
>
> looks like $25 for a 24" cable, a 12" is a custom size, they charge
> $2 more.
> http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-HEC-4

Bingo!  I think I'm going to just go for the 24" size.  Thanks!

> Considering the neutrik connectors are almost $6 each + shipping +
> cable + labor, that's not too bad a price.
>
>> I actually have a few different headphone amps.  Most of them are
>> made by Headroom.  The one I use the most is a Total Airhead, just
>> because it's so compact.  It sounds good enough.
>
> Looks interesting. I've been thinking about making me a dedicated
> headphone amp, but just dont have the time to get around to all my
> projects. I use a Technics DCC player as my headphone amp. The
> headphone amp is very well made in this thing.

I'd really like to get this:

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-desktop-line/headroom-portable-desktop-amp.php

eventually, but $1000 is a bit more than I care to spend right now.

What kind of cans do you use?  I have four pairs of Sennheiser HD580s, a
pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s, and for portable use, a pair of Sennheiser
HD 280 Pros, and a pair of Etymotic ER-4S in-ear phones.  I'd love to
try the Shure SE530s, but $500 is a bit steep.

Peace...  Sridhar