[geeks] Global warming, was Mr Bill?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Sep 29 09:50:13 CDT 2008

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
" > Even assuming McCain gets elected, his "let's build nuclear power
" > plants" idea will face stiff opposition.
"
" Probably, yeah, from the misguided environmentalists and the NIMBYs.
" But the fact is, at this point it'd almost be stupid to do anything
" <b>else</b>.  It's a mature technology now.

i'm probably in that environmentalist camp also, as i wouldn't want to
see widespread growth of nuclear power until we have a really
efficient, chimpanzee-proof design, and that imho means a lot of r&d,
which i'm sure is not what mccain has in mind.

what we have is not so much mature as just old tech.  real r&d has
been hamstrung by the requirement for 'safety' add-ons.  i don't think
they'll be truly safe until safety is baked in; hanford had just such
a design built and in testing when clinton shut them down.  it was
covered in a very interesting bill moyers special.  i don't know how
it rates for efficiency.

as for nimby - i live just outside the alarm zone of a nuke.