[geeks] Global warming, was Mr Bill?

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri Sep 26 00:33:16 CDT 2008

> while the half life of pu-239 is only 24Ky, u-238 [unfissionable in
> current reactors] is 4.5Gy.  even u-235 half life is 0.71Gy.  and high
> level 'waste' is essentially pure oxide, and while i admit i don't
> know the analysis a large percentage has to be u-238; afaik even after
> enrichment the bulk of the fuel load is u-238.

They enrich the fuel meaning they separate the 235 from the 238 so the fuel rods do not have much 238 in them.  238 is thrown in fuel rod in breeder reactors which the US does not need at this time since we have plenty of 235.  Those radioactive breakdown products in the spent rod have shorter half lives but still have to be stored for about 2500 years till the radiation level is considered "safe".  238 is not as radioactive as 235, you can handle it without much protection for decent amounts of time.

Bob