[geeks] LittleFall2

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:56:16 CDT 2008

On 9/24/08, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:22:12AM -0700, velociraptor wrote:
>  (snip)
>
> > That's a great deal if you absolutely have to have mini-ITX, compared
> > to the other options available.  For me, having two expansion slots
> > and the ability to go 4GB is more important than the tiny footprint.
> >

>  Not sure if the two expansion slots issue is that significant though -
>  the D945GCLF2 board has got gigabit ethernet already onboard, unlike
>  the D945GCLF, so one slot should be sufficient - unless you were
>  thinking of adding more powerful graphics, sound or firewire. Heck, it
>  has better expansion capabilities than the macbook air!

Everything has better expansion capabilities than the MacBook Air. :-)

I'm looking for something for the basis of a file server.  I'd like to
keep it relatively low-power, but I think the "sweet spot" for used
3ware cards is probably the 8 port PCI-X (I've not checked recently,
so am guessing).  Having a 2nd slot available to further expand a RAID
array would make it more "future proof".

That said, I'd also prefer identical hardware to my planned
hackintosh, if I can manage it and the price point is acceptable, just
to keep the load low on my overworked brain.

At this point though, given the state of my brain after 4 "real" work
days and the nearly 3 "bonus" work days (in hours) they've gotten out
of me since I started last Thursday, I'm leaning towards the "suck up
the cost" decision and just ponying up for a MacBook or maybe even a
MacBook Pro (not sure I can live with the MacBook's keyboard after
using hubby's for a little while--I need more time on it to be sure
though).

Off topic aside: one of the guys who used to work here that still
consults with us (he built most of the infrastructure) has a MacBook
Pro that went off his motorcycle at speed.  It was in a case, but is
has a big ol' bent corner (.5-.75" across the base of the triangle) in
the upper left hand corner of the base on the hinge side.  He said,
"it basically works fine, except it occasionally makes weird noises."
Try that with a plastic laptop. :-)  It also has a big .5" x 3" black
streak on the top cover (the back side of the LCD) close to the dented
corner.  I'm guess it's where the protective clear anodized coating
was worn off in the accident.  Approaching a natural "rat Mac".

=Nadine=