[geeks] Global warming, was Mr Bill?

Dr Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Sun Sep 21 22:01:27 CDT 2008

Valid question, My wife says I spend too much time with weather/computer
ubergeeks to be understood by the ordinary geek. We have two sets of
clusters; one is the production cluster designed to produce the products
we need now. The other is the development cluster where all the software
development and testing is done. The development cluster is built of the
cast off parts from the production cluster. Since the microscale model is
still being verified against observations it cann't run on the production
machines. Two sets of test cases are being run. One is a hurricane
forecasts where I collected the verification data via dropsondes
dropped from the NASA DC-8. In this case a 4 day forecast takes about 3 days
with the 1000 meter resolution forecast domain extending from western Africa
to the mid-Atlantic. Closer to home a 6 hour 333 meter resolution forecast
covering a mid-western city take about 4 hours. The single test on the
production cluster took a little less than 1 hour to generate the 6 hour
forecast.