[geeks] Rack Console options

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 20 08:51:46 CDT 2008

   Hello all,

   I'm getting ready to "pimp my rack" and I was looking into what I'll
   call rack mount console options - something like this:

   http://www.racksolutions.com/rackmount-monitor.shtml

   This is a $350-400 option that provides me with a keyboard/trackpad on
   a 1U retractable tray with a VESA monitor mount.

   What I would like would be a 1U or 2U pull-out KVM console, but I'm
   thinking closer to $200 (or less ;^). I can find inexpensive rackmount
   keyboard trays (just under $100 at one store), but I don't want to
   kill 8U+ of rack space by putting the flat panel monitor on a shelf.

   I have 15" and 17" flat panels I could use, so I don't want to buy a
   new screen - any thoughts?

   I'm picking up my new Dell 42U rack next week, and I'd like to start
   out right (PDU, UPS, KVM, console, switch, etc.)...

   Thanks in advance,

   Lionel