[geeks] Mr Bill?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Sep 19 11:22:31 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:56:52AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:00:40AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> >
> >>" My co-workers think it is a plan by one political party to lower
> >>gas
> >>" prices for the election
> >>
> >>the party in power is not above using their powers in tactics like
> >>this in order to influence elections...
> >
> >I'm quite certain that the party not in power is also not above using
> >their powers in tactics like this in order to influence elections...
>
> What, like send out "refund" checks just before an election? Who would
> do such a thing...
>
> Though I did hear from one party that we may need ANOTHER stimulus
> check from the Gov't, but I can't remember which it was...

I also heard someone from one of the parties saying that the federal
government should have fannie and freddie stop foreclosing now they
they've been taken over.

> While you (and my coworker) may agree, since the Gov't doesn't
> actually own any gas stations, refineries, tankers, oil rigs or oil
> companies, I fail to see how they could effect this change in price,
> except by lowering the taxes on gasoline (which didn't happen this
> summer, AFAIK).

I'm not saying that there is a republican consipiracy.  However, I
wouldn't assume that just because the feds don't own gas stations,
refineries, tankers, oil rigs, or oil companies, doesn't mean they can't
manipulate the price somehow, such as by asking for a favor in exchange
for continuing favorable regulation.  And again, I'm sure that many a
politicians, regardless of party, is capable of asking for such favors
to keep himself or his friends in power.