[geeks] English language [was: power (was Mr. Bill)]

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Sep 19 10:04:28 CDT 2008

" From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
"
" On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:56:37 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
" > > I'm not sure about that. Pascaline has been in the french language
" > > for over 350 years and the term for machine automation and punch
" > > cards have been in the french language for almost 300 years. Both
"
" Punch cards and (to some extent) machine automation are of course a
" French invention.

jacquard looms...

" > Well, I don't speak (or know much about) French, but as for Italian
" > and German, I can vouch that they've pulled coined words from English
" > for the kind of reasons I'm talking about.
"
" I don't know about French, German, or Italian, but my Spanish informant
" tells me that young people in Spain seem to prefer converted to Spanish
" English words (in computer terms anyway) than perfectly serviceable
" Spanish words. Probably just to be contrary.

french has le week-end, le stewardess - and le compteur - despite the
academie...