[geeks] Mr Bill?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 19 00:06:14 CDT 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 23:55 , der Mouse wrote:

> Not very.  The mean density of matter in the galaxy is thin enough
> that
> here on Earth we'd call it a pretty hard vacuum.

It's a big galaxy.  It doesn't matter how dense the galaxy is, there
are still a lot of them.

Our own solar system has a lot and our various moons show vivid proof
of just how many big ones have hit.

>> Plus, we have records of various bodies being totally obliterated,
>
> We do?  I'd like to hear more - this is the first I've heard of any
> such.

Several probes have taken pictures of very thoroughly shattered moons,
some quite large.

At least a few appear to have been broken apart and fell back
together, or were split by the impacts.

I'd say that would hurt us pretty bad.

It can certainly happen.

I'm not saying it is likely, just that it can.

Besides, even a small asteroid can send us on a serious and
demoralizing detour without doing that much damage to the planet itself.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com